"The demands of the record label will include the need for lots of close ups of the artist and the artist may develop motifs which recur across their work (a visual style that reflects their star image/persona)"
1) This acknowledges the commercial nature of music videos. Music videos are essentially promotional devices whose function is to sell the song to its target audience.
-Music videos are mostly commercial and promotional devices, they are not only used to sell and song but also products which the artist might use during the video. An example of this is in the music video the girls show the brand in which they used to dye their hair, this promotes the brand of the hair dye and also helps the brand earn money since some of the people watching this might want the colour themselves and now know which type to use.
2) Ultimately, stars are commodities that are used to represent values that will be attractive to their target audience. They are a brand. How is this brand identity established through their videos?
- The brand identity of Little Mix is mostly established throughout their videos. First to create a brand you need to like the people, Little Mix are likable because young people can relate to them in some ways, they come off quirky and fun which is the main thing that they need to portray. The brand identity is shown throughout their videos and the sound of their music is what the brand Little Mix is. Also them getting a deal to create a make up range would also show that they are a brand.
3) To appeal to the target audience, record companies will demand that there are close ups of the star so that the audience will identify them. What evidence have you found in this videos you have watched of this star?
- In the Little Mix videos I have noticed how close ups are used when each of the singers sing their invidual parts of the song, when the chorus or other bits when they sing together they still have close up shots of each of the girls. This allows the audience to get see what each of the girls look like, sound like and their invidual styles.